Thursday, September 10, 2009

Strive to Thrive

Coach John Wooden thought of himself like the man who said:

I am not what I ought to be,
Not what I want to be,
Not what I am going to be,
But I am thankful that
I am better than I used to be.

Our Honor Code begins, "We strive each day to selfless servants, demonstrating moral courage, and commitment...." At Calvert, we know striving for what we should be and should do may not make us what we ought to be, but at least we will be better than we used to be.

We work to instill Coach Wooden's ethic into our students. We want them to feel that the journey is the best lesson when it comes to honor and character. The triumphs and failures of life build who we are. We hope the Honor Code will guide our students when they encounter a fork in the road of right and wrong.

We hope our students feel they have become better people by the time they graduate from Calvert. They are responsible for themselves and others. They respect all people and things. Honesty is vital in all their interactions. The seek ways to reach out to their community.

Will our students do all these things all the time? I'll answer that with another question: do we? The constant and vigilant pursuit (striving for) of the Honor Code is a lifetime goal we hope our Calvert students will take with them to their next school and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment